Monday, April 21, 2014

it's the final countdown

When Michael Shaw announced to the class that for our final, we could do virtually anything, I panicked.  An assignment with few boundaries is a frightening thing.  I plan to major in either Graphic Design or Photography, so I knew that I wanted to incorporate elements of both in my project.  

Previous to our info graph, I did research about photoshop artist.  All of the artists that i posted about had outstanding work that interested me.  But none of it incorporated what I wanted to learn how to do with Photoshop.  They all used digital painting, which is about as far away as possible from what I wan tot do with the software.  

With a major in photography, I would use photoshop to enhance my work.  With graphic design, I would use it to incorporate hand drawn elements, textures, and pictures into graphic works.  So I searched for ideas and inspiration.



                

Although all of these pieces are beautiful and stood out to me the most out of everything i saw, nothing intrigued me enough to create my own version of something similar.  Which led me straight back to square one. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

About a week ago, I was driving through midtown and I got completely lost.  I knew what street I was on, but it was an area I had never driven before.  Right before I reached familiar territory, I drove through an overpass and noticed a large wall mural.  It was very simple with lots of potential to add elements in Photoshop.

When I first saw it, I knew that one day I would want to do a photo shoot there.  Little did I know how soon the opportunity would arise.  

I realized this would be the perfect location to take a few pictures to photoshop.  I plan on having my roommate model for me within the next couple of days.  





I have also been wanting to design a logo for myself.  Something simple that I can easily stick on digital copies of my work.  This will be where I incorporate a graphic design element.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Assignment Requirements

A layer mask
Marquee tools
Clone Stamp Tool
Burn and Dodge
Adjustment Layers 
One scanned in element
One element created purely in photoshop

-----------------------------------------------------------

Plan of Action

A Layer Mask: I will use this to put a slight hue over the background of the image to make the figure stand out.
Marquee tools: I will use this to select different ares when I am applying the layer masks.
Clone Stamp Tool: I will use this to give the subject flawless skin, typical clone stamp use.
Burn and Dodge: I will use this to high light the subject and to create darker shadows. This is the tool that I am most excited about experimenting with.
Adjustment Layers: I will use these to adjust the photo to make it look as good as possible.
Scanned in Element: I will scan in a fabric and either add it to part of the picture or I will give the logo a texture with the fabric.  
Element Created in Photoshop: The logo will be created purely in photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment